Give Me the Lion

Monday, September 5th, 2011 by

What use have I for worms?
I am no gardener.
Where I could crush with the toe of my boot,
I’m reluctant to step.

For they are hard to see, down there,
competing to wriggle the lowest.
From the height of a human it’s hard to tell one from another.
So I wait,
and watch–kindly–so as not to interrupt
as they wriggle away in search of a thing that I’m not.

I do not need a worm.

Give me the lion.

Give me the lion with the orange mane,
the teeth, the sweeping tail,
quiet paws, and the unmistakable
curve of his spine.

No housecat he, declawed and docile,
content with long-dead food.
He tears his meat with me,
my lion.
‘Til I challenge him:
tossing scraps on the ground and watching his hackles rise.

We test one another.

If I do not stand over him–if I turn, and assume his obedience–
he may tear me to pieces
(and I will deserve it).
You must. Respect. The beast.

Therefore he tests
the still and wordless strength
in my gaze, and the tension I keep on the chain in my hand;
in return I test his will, and smile
when he finally lowers his head to obey me
and eats.

He wears my collar, but it doesn’t make him tame.
It just makes him mine.
Astride his ferocity I am ferocious:
marking his rippling hide,
or twisting a hand through the curls of his mane to hold him.
When I mount him, and ride,
I command the world.

So keep your worms, and give me the lion.
Give me the lion, a chair and whip,
and time,

and we shall roar.

38 Responses to “Give Me the Lion”

1. maymay says:

I think this is beautiful.

2. Yolande says:

I love it! I hope it’s ok that I post it on another site, as long as I link to your blog and give you credit for it?

3. Stabbity says:

Oh, wow, that’s lovely.

4. Blissful Eyes says:

So… can I buy you coffee sometime?

:D

5. Amai says:

This is gorgeous, Fizz. It brings up a lot of stuff for me, so I’ll just go off and quietly process it now. Thanks so much for sharing!

• Fizz says:

You’re very welcome. I’d be interested in reading about what kind of ideas it brought up for you.

• Amai says:

A couple of things it brought up immediately:

1 – How certain stories carrying the theme of “the tame beast” resonate so strongly with me. You know, the ones about the wild, aggressive, and/or otherwise blood-thirsty creature becoming putty in the hands of the person it acquiesces to submit to (e.g., Black Beauty to the plucky teen girl who believes in her own competence even when nobody else does, the lion to Androcles, the vampire in thrall to his human lover, heck – even Clarisse/Hannibal Lecter had that vibe and I responded to it).

2 – The fact that I tend to be attracted to “alpha” type men, and this has caused me no end of annoyance and trouble in the past. These were all vanilla relationships in which what was going on with the power dynamics was implicit and never discussed outright. The pattern would unfold like this: I’d be attracted to this alpha guy, he’d say he was attracted to me in no small part because I was strong and independent yada yada yada. Then as soon as I became involved with him he’d do everything in his power to undercut the “strong” and “independent” aspects of my personality, expecting to be in charge. Of course, I also expected to be in charge, so…yeah. Never worked out.

So earlier this year as I started really exploring my dominant tendencies and coming to the conclusion that I need to be the one in charge without having to fight about it, I figured this attraction to alphas had to go. One good thing about that thought is it’s opened me up to appreciating a wider range of masculine identities and presentations – now I’m not only on the prowl for an alpha (insofar as I’m on the prowl at all, which admittedly isn’t much). But between this and a thread over on Fetlife where some of the commenters were talking about situation-specific (or relationship-specific) submission, I’m understanding this proclivity of mine a bit better, and that it’s not so at odds with my desire to be dominant as it might seem to be.

(And as an aside, I think it’s also why I tend to own bully breed dogs. I’m not really interested in golden retrievers or Labradors – anyone can get along with a golden! But pit bulls and mastiffs (and such) have a special place in my heart because they’re the “gladiator” breeds – and I love knowing how to handle them so they are docile and good-natured.)

• maymay says:

Amai, I’d like to read the thread you’re referring to. Would you be so kind as to offer a link? Thank you. :)

• Fizz says:

Yes! Me too. And, actually, the other way around, too–I LOVE a character who’s generally docile and easygoing but gets ferocious in defense of someone they love.

Now that I’m thinking about it, the “tame beast” archetype works well on either side of the slash in D/s. In a draft I’m working on, I talk a bit about being in a situation where *I* really wanted to top the fuck out of someone, *he* wanted me to top the fuck out of him, and for reasons not relevant I needed to hold back for a while. I felt like a caged animal, powerful but patient, and that only made the desire stronger.

• maymay says:

:) Fizz, et. al., see also:

It’s interesting to note that “watchful” can accurately describe both so-called submissive and dominant behavior. Can “fierce”? I think so[…].

• Fizz says:

Yes yes yes. And that particular MSA entry is ten kinds of hot for those reasons among others. :)

• Amai says:

That’s one of my favorite MSA pics, and I think that interpretation is spot on. I love the subversion of assumptions and stereotypes, and the nuances that arise when context and intent are factored in.

6. NessieMonster says:

That’s beautiful. I love the line ‘he wears my collar but that does not make him tame’.
    Linky link…

• Fizz says:

Thank you. :) That line was one of the key points that shifted this piece from an idea floating around in my head to something that was starting to be ready to write down.

7. Tom Allen says:

“He wears my collar, but it doesn’t make him tame.
    It just makes him mine.”

That’s beautiful. That totally describes what I was trying to get at a couple of years ago, when I started trying to explain why the “submissive” label carried the wrong connotations; and why the common conception of “femdom” as a “Superior Woman” with a “worthless worm” probably did more to turn people off to the idea than anything else.

Even in a more vanilla-ish setting, we have found that this holds true. I wrote this little bit that seems to dovetail with yours:

“One of the reasons that she kinks on chastity and denying me, is that she sees it as having power over a part of me that in itself is powerful. […] she enjoys it — because she’s asserting her authority over something that needs to be controlled; […] and she wants my manly, male energy tightly controlled so that she can focus it at her own discretion. She wants my testosterone flowing, and knows that keeping me sexually edgy has many benefits for her, whether or not she chooses to unlock it. No, Mrs. Edge wants me locked up not because I’m worthless, but because I’m valuable. And that, my friends, makes me feel very special, indeed.”

It’s unfortunate that this kind of dynamic is so difficult to convey in images, or even in movies. And unfortunately, it just doesn’t seem to be as titillating as the conventional images are.

• Fizz says:

Yeah–really if this piece had only one point (which it doesn’t) it would be to say “here is another kind of image of submission, look how sexy it is.”

The way you describe the point of chastity play there is actually *exactly* the idea which got me to understand the appeal of chastity play, at least from the top side. As a big fan of cock, I wouldn’t enjoy at all denying its use altogether, but containing and controlling it so that it’ll be ready and eager when *I* want it? That sounds awesome.

8. Asa says:

I really, really liked this!

9. Pandora says:

Beautiful! I love the bite of ownership in

He wears my collar, but it doesn’t make him tame.
    It just makes him mine.

Thanks for writing and sharing this, I really enjoyed it.

10. aislinn says:

This is gorgeous. As others have said, I really love the line
    “He wears my collar, but it doesn’t make him tame.
    It just makes him mine.”

as well as what follows – that whole stanza paints such a beautiful picture of both sides of the dynamic.

I’m so glad a friend shared this on Twitter, thanks for sharing it with all of us. :)

• Fizz says:

I find it really interesting that *everyone* who’s called out a specific line to quote so far has called out the same one. I mean, that’s awesome, clearly it’s well-liked, but dang. It’s also notable from my end because, while I’d had the idea for this buzzing around in my head for a while, it wasn’t until I figured out how *that line* was going to go that I started writing it down. Hmmm.

Anyway, thanks very much, and I’m happy that your friend shared it too. :)

• NessieMonster says:

The other line is ‘Astride his ferocity, I am ferocious’.
        So much of the imagery of this poem is about the strength required to tame/control the power/desire of another, and how they feed into each other, and how that leads to the expression of beauty and creativity, particularly in the line ‘and we shall roar’..
        There is just so much to unpack and feel in your writing here that I can’t pull it all together right now…

11. TwooDomina says:

LOVE IT!

12. Dev says:

This is beautiful. I addressed a similar idea awhile back when I said, “It’s no fun to have a guy on his knees if he wasn’t standing tall in the first place.” So nice to see it in poetry form. I think I shall have to put it on my tumblr. Do you have it on tumblr yet?

• Fizz says:

Nope, I don’t. (And it tells you something about how much I use Tumblr that I had to check before answering, heh.) If you post it, link me and I’ll reblog it. :P

13. […] wasn’t just refusing to submit without being beaten down first; I couldn’t. There’s a lion in me, and it bristles and roars at the suggestion that I lie down as quietly as a lapcat. I could […]

14. Ursus Stealthus says:

This is a beautiful poem.